Version control

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:29 AM

To keep things tidy we should of course be using verison control. Despite including SVN in the docs I read that it is no longer supported. What version control repository would anyone suggest?

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Hello,

Yes i've also seen that SVN was unsupported, CodePlex also supports Mercurial. More information is available at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/codeplex/archive/2010/01/22/using-mercurial-on-codeplex.aspx

Maybe we should change to use Mercurial instead of SVN?

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I don't have much experience with version control. Can someone please explain how I go about using it? Do I need any extra software or a plug-in for Visual Studio?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

For SVN, you'll need to first download TortoiseSVN which can be found at http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Having said that I couldn't download the code into an TortiseSVN repository using the link codeplex says the code is at. Anyone else had any luck or should we try Mercurial?

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Do you get an error message? I was able to use SVN fine.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I entered the URL and it hung for a bit and then gave some error about not being able to connect to the repo. Never asked for login details. It is an older version, I'll update it tonight and try again.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM
hericles wrote:

I entered the URL and it hung for a bit and then gave some error about not being able to connect to the repo. Never asked for login details. It is an older version, I'll update it tonight and try again.

Ok update this discussion if you continue experiencing problems after you update.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:24 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Can somebody please tell me what URL to use for TortoiseSVN? Also, how do I use it with Visual Studio? I have never used any sort of version  control software before. Thanks :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM

If you go to the source code tab you will see links on the right. Click on the TortiseSVN one to see the download URL.

To use Tortise create an empty folder why you keep your projects, call it whatever you want. Then right click on the folder and find the TortiseSVN menu item. Create an SVN repository and, once that is done, go to SVN Checkout and enter the URL information.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM

OK still no joy with TortiseSVN, I don't think it is supported. TortiseHG doesn't seem to be much better as I can't find the Mercurial link that should be on the source code page.

Has anyone managed to download the code via any form of source control?

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM
hericles wrote:

OK still no joy with TortiseSVN, I don't think it is supported. TortiseHG doesn't seem to be much better as I can't find the Mercurial link that should be on the source code page.

Has anyone managed to download the code via any form of source control?

I was able to download the code using TortoiseSVN. In the URL for the SVN Checkout are you entering https://moodtracker.svn.codeplex.com/svn ?

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM

OK, I got tortiseSVN working. Stupid mistake - I had proxy settings from 2 years ago still set. Good to go!

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM
hericles wrote:

OK, I got tortiseSVN working. Stupid mistake - I had proxy settings from 2 years ago still set. Good to go!

Ok, no problems - thanks for the update!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I don't care what system we use as long as it is easy to configure and use. If it takes longer to learn the tool than it takes to write the code then it is a poor tool.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:33 PM

TortiseSVN is very simple. Download and install it and it will appear as an option in your right click menu.

Create a folder where you want to host your Moodtracker repository and then right click and from the TortiseSVN commands select 'create repository'. Once that is done go to check out and enter the URL 

https://moodtracker.svn.codeplex.com/svn

The project will be copied to your folder and you can now use it in visual studio. When uploading a commit Tortise will match your changes against the existing code base and as long as there are no conflicts, load it up. The only problem occurs when 2 people have made changes to the same code as the last person to commit is then asked to manually select which goes into the repository. The tool is pretty good at highlighting the conflicts and auto-dealing with some things.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:37 AM

I prefer Mercurial but for our project either will suffice, haven't try it out yet but what is this talk about SVN not supported?

I'm assuming we can push and pull with either SVN or Mercurial. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:12 AM

yeah, both seem to work just fine - some comments in the general forums indicated TortiseSVN was no longer supported but that was either old or just plain wrong.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM
hericles wrote:

yeah, both seem to work just fine - some comments in the general forums indicated TortiseSVN was no longer supported but that was either old or just plain wrong.

Hey, What's the URL for mercurial? It's not in our project's source code section :/

Failing that, constantinos are you able to add it to the page?

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

nvm my previous post. Forgot about the hgsubversion extension :/

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Err... getting UAC errors with subversion D:

Update: Looks like this is a bug in TortiseSVN 1.7.3, if you are getting the "C:\User\**** accessed denied error" download their latest nightly builds which resolves the issue.

Details see: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2894848

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Rillanon wrote:

Err... getting UAC errors with subversion D:

Update: Looks like this is a bug in TortiseSVN 1.7.3, if you are getting the "C:\User\**** accessed denied error" download their latest nightly builds which resolves the issue.

Details see: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2894848

Thanks for the update and i'm happy you found the solution!