Preferred areas of development

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Before we all start cutting up the code we should probably see what areas people would prefer to work on, have knowledge in or want to work on to improve. Broadly, the areas of the project would fall into:

UI design

Database design

Form & class source code (obviously there is a lot of scope in here and people can take sections for themselves e.g. diary, quizzes, reports, etc)

Testing

Documentation (for coders and for end users)

Although we will be doing it as a team effort I think the overall process will be much smoother if things fall under certain people's roles. If we need a change to the database that goes to developer X, UI tweak to developer Y because that is the person looking after it.

I don't want to leap ahead and this is how it is though. Do people agree with me or is a looser, more open design environment preferred?

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Assign me whatever area you want. I prefer a challenging area.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Well, its not up to me to assign anyone anywhere:) I was floating the idea. I was hoping people would say 'I like databases', 'I'm good at UI design' and so on.

But if you want to put dibs in I imagine the graphing or report checking/automated emailing system would be among the more demanding areas.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:16 AM

I'm open to doing just about anything. Before we do ANYTHING else, I think we should somehow diagram exactly how the program should work -- a workflow of sorts. This will make it a LOT easier to figure out what needs to be done, and make it easier for people to decide what they want to do.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Is there some sort of free online equivalent version of Microsoft Visio? That would be the easiest way to do a workflow diagram.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM
whitebreadb wrote:

Is there some sort of free online equivalent version of Microsoft Visio? That would be the easiest way to do a workflow diagram.

I'll do a workflow diagram using Microsoft Word - its the same as Visio but it will be fine :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I'm open to doing just about anything as well!

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I think we can assign to invisal the graphing system since he prefers a challenging area :)

Then we have hericles, whitebreadb, brandonio21 and djwalshy that have been active in the Discussions. And we have elbren and Reverend_Jim that haven't yet been active in any of the Discussions - i will attempt to communicate with them to see if they have any preferences.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM

For hericles, whitebreadb, brandonio21 and djwalshy i suggest the following:

hericles proceeds with the Notes Section and the Phone Calls Section since they are similar.

brandonio21 proceeds with the Quizzes Section.

whitebreadb proceeds with the UI Design.

djwalshy proceeds with the Database Design.

(Note that these are just suggestions :) )

As for myself i'll be doing the project management tasks, testing the program, writing up some documentation, and also doing some developing and fixing bugs that i find.

One thing that i should mention that you all probably already do is that when coding the use of comments to explain what each function does is important and will help in the future when fixing a bug or expanding a specific area.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I'm willing to take a shot at the database design. I have SQL-EXPRESS 2008 and MS SQL Server Management Studio installed.

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM

happy to do the unit testing. I want to get used to NUnit. 

Since this is an open source project I see no reason to stick with SQL server, if we proceed with an ORM like NHibernate or entity framework, I would be happy to do the database / domain design and DAL.